I have been an individual member of ALEA since 2007 and I am currently the President of ALEA Riverina Murray. I have been awarded Senior Fellow Status from 2019-2024.
The Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA) is an independent professional association dedicated to literacy and English language learning from early childhood through all stages of schooling and tertiary education contexts. ALEA recognises the critical role literacy plays in learning and communicating in all curriculum areas, and for effective participation in society. You can find the National Literacy Webpage at https://www.alea.edu.au/
Joining ALEA is one of the best professional decisions I have made in my career. I have met so many amazing people at conferences and through the local council that have become friends as well as colleagues with an interest in Literacy. If you would like to join the Riverina Murray Local council please make contact. I would be happy to discuss membership with you. We have a vibrant council with a lovely mix of teachers (primary and secondary), ear;y childhood educators, school leaders, teacher education academics, instructional leaders, undergraduate teacher education students, an OT and a Speech pathologist and of course I now work as an independent education consultant so that adds another category. Anyone interested in the teaching and learning of literacy is welcome.
ALEA Membership Benefits
ALEA provides support and professional development throughout a literacy educators’ career, from student and early career teacher to more experienced educator. We do this through national, State and regional conferences, workshops and seminars, journals, position papers and other publications.
The Association also provides a major advocacy role in relation to significant literacy issues, allowing members to participate in local, state and national forums concerning literacy; respond to government; and participate in major policy initiatives.
When you join ALEA you will have direct access to:
- Professional development for teachers at all levels, through activities organised by ALEA Local Councils around Australia
- The latest information on developments in language and learning through ALEA publications
- Invitations to attend State and National conferences each year, at discounted rates
- Opportunities to meet with educators, authors and illustrators
- Professional dialogue and sharing of expertise and best practice
- Three regular mailouts each year which include:
Practical Literacy: the Early and Primary Years (PL) and Literacy Learning: the Middle Years (LL) (Comprehensive members receive both; Basic members choose one of these)
ALEA Today newsletter and eNews
- Access to The Australian Journal of Language and Literacy (AJLL) online through the ALEA Members Centre
- Complimentary copies of ALEA’s occasional publications and other special member offers and resources designed to help you in your profession
- Participation in a growing online community of people dedicated to literacy development and language learning.
On joining, you will have the opportunity to be connected to an ALEA Local Council in your area and invited to participate in local activities. Find out more about ALEA Local Councils here.
Please be aware that online applications and renewals are processed immediately. Hard copy applications and renewals may take around two weeks to process.
Membership enquiries to:
ALEA National Office
+61 2 9431 8679